I’m not sure about you but now the weather in the UK has changed (i.e..no more flips, the boots are out)…. I can guarantee I will be wearing socks in bed – yes, glamorous eh! I can’t sleep if my feet are cold – surely I’m not the only one?
It seems that several people have started to get colds so I thought I’d share my immunity boosting tips to help you get through the winter as best you can:
1. Get more sleep – I think we all know that lack of sleep reduces your immunity.
2. Eat less sugar – you may not realise that sugar can actually suppress your immune system.
3. Get your body moving – a moderate amount of regular exercise will improve immunity, overtraining actually won’t so you need your rest and recovery days.
4. Get outdoors – even when it is dark and cold you will be better to get some fresh air rather than being surrounded by people coughing and sneezing.
5. Eat a variety of colourful fruits and vegetables every day and as extra “health Insurance” I recommend a daily greens drink to boost your ability to fight the bugs (as well as other benefits)
6. Reduce stress – yes this can also depress your immune system
7. Vitamin D supplements can also boost our ability to fight flu and colds, and in the winter we severely lack this in the Northern Hemisphere.
So there you go, although I can’t promise you won’t catch a cold, you will be a lot less likely to get ill this winter if you can do all these.
Zita “love my bed socks” Alves
ps If you’d like some ideas for recipes that contain loads of great nutrition and are easy to make including smoothies, soups, salads and loads more then grab your copy of my 90 recipe cookbook HERE